Wednesday 7 November 2012

Product Review - Graze

Hello!

         Today I'm doing the first of what I hope is many product reviews! This first one is on the company Graze and their snack boxes. The Idea behind the product is simple, deliver snack sized portions of different nuts and fruits (and variations) that can be transported easily allowing everyone to be able to eat the snacks they like, where and when they like. Like a lot of internet companies such as Love film or Amazon Prime, they offer the chance to let you try for free and then they start charging you for this service afterwards.

How much Choice do you have?

         In a word. Lots. There are over 100 different snacks to pick from, they make it easy for you to pick what you want as well. You can either go for the nibble box option and choose from all of the snacks available, or you can go for the nutrition box which only gives you the healthy option. The nutrition box can also be split into 3 categories so you can choose what you define as the 'healthy option' whether that is low calorie, high in nutritional things or just a generic healthy snack option.

         As you would expect there is a chance you can get something that you don't like (or don't like the look of) coming your way. To help fight that you have the option to rate all of there snacks as bin, like, love or try. Allowing you to filter through the things that you enjoy and the things that you hate. This process isn't perfect as sometimes you don't know what your not going to like, and it does take a bit of time going through all of the products to decide what to go for!

What do you get?

         Each delivery consists of 4 different snacks all in individually sealed containers, which would fit nicely in a lunch box and would probably hold up in a bag fairly well. The box that it's delivered in is made from recycled cardboard and contains nutritional information on each of the products that they send you.
Personalised Nutritional Information

         The box should fit through any normal sized letter box so you don't need to worry too much about delivery, and its nicely designed to fit with the contents in side so everything normally arrives in mint condition. Looking inside the box there are vouchers which you can offer to friends to try and get them involved and there is a lot of personal touches like addressing you by your first name in the nutritional data.

How good are the snacks?

         Of the 4 that I received I really enjoyed 3 of them and would definitely have them again, the 4th was something I wouldn't have tried but I hadn't rated it on their website so I can't really hold it against them especially as I'm a very fussy eater! In regards to portion size I'd say they are a bit small, and if I was hungry enough to warrant a snack then 1 of these would most certainly not be enough to satisfy me, and I'm only a small guy, with the size of a box ranging from 30-40g depending on the snack.
The 4 snacks they sent me

         If you go with the default option of 2 boxes a week this is only 8 snacks and while that is over 1 a day, I feel that with portion size I'd be eating 2 at a time and I'd be struggling to have enough. Despite this though the quality of what they send is good and their are no issues of knowing when they will perish as best before dates are provided.

How good is delivery?

         Very good. They give you warning about how late you can cancel / edit your boxes and the delivery date for my box was spot on with lots of advice available in regards to how I can have it delivered. They deliver through the Royal mail and as such can come on between Monday and Friday but, if you have a weekly delivery on this should remain on a fairly consistent day of the week!

The box it comes in

How much does it cost?

         This for me is the downside to the product, things were going very well for graze in my opinion up until this point. The price per box is £3.89 including delivery which works out to be about 98p per snack which considering the size of each tub is very expensive. The fact that they are delivered to your door does save you valuable time searching round supermarkets looking at the different things they have on offer, and also offers lots of things that you may not pick up so easily in most places (such as Goji Berries).

         If you opt for 2 boxes a week it does end up working out to being just short of £34 a month on nuts and fruit, and as you will probably buy other similar things in the supermarket this is a large (unnecessary) expense.

Is there any catches?

         I decided to review graze because I got a voucher from a shop offering me a free box. When I went to use it I found it very straight forward until I placed my order. At this point I noticed that I had automatically been signed up for 2 deliveries a week. They also insist on taking your card details for your free sample and won't allow you to place your order without it.

         On top of this it becomes unclear whether if you simply delete these deliveries whether you still receive your free box, or if you have to wait for delivery then cancel your order. This seems like a ploy designed to catch out the lazy, which a lot of people using this service may well be as they have already shown that they can't be bothered to go and buy their own nuts and seeds etc. I was on the ball enough to cancel my free box order as soon as I had conformation that my snacks where on their way, but I'm sure many wouldn't! Bar this there doesn't seem to be any other catches, they do try to do what I call the 'desperate phone network tactic' of offering you a better deal (a free box etc) if you don't cancel your order.

Is it worth it?

         I'd say no, unless your fairly wealthy and not very knowledgeable on what healthy things you would like to eat. I would only use it as a short term reference tool to try and gain a good knowledge on what there is out there. As a service they are efficient, but the price just doesn't match what they do for you in terms of portion size.


If you have any more questions on the service let me know!

Cheers,

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment