Monday 3 December 2012

The BBC Good Food Show


A couple of weeks ago it was my Mom's birthday. She's one of these people who is notoriously hard to shop for as she doesn't have many interests beyond food and reading, and as I got her a kindle for her last birthday I'd severely reduced my scope for gifts this year!


Luckily while looking on line for present ideas I saw an advert for the good food show, and decided that (a bit selfishly) I should buy a pair of tickets for us to go for her birthday. I've been using the good food website for a few years now, and its a great resource for anyone looking for some recipes for well known (or slightly more obscure) dishes out there. Fortunately for me she loved the Idea and we both enjoyed the day and came home having spent a bit too much and having been out all day, unfortunately for me though it also fell bang in the middle of me moving house!
Decoratively carved fruit and veg!
The day started by going to the "super theatre" to watch Gino D'acampo do a 30 minute cooking show involving a couple of the people from the audience. While I was unsure what to expect from this It may well have been the highlight of the whole day. Gino was excellent to watch and gave a lot of energy and humour which was really needed at 10am on a Sunday morning.
Gino D'acampo answering a few questions.
After the show finished we had the rest of the day to wander around the different stands to see what was on offer. While some stands were there to sell kitchen equipment (there were tonnes just for knives) others were there to advertise their food products, with the companies there ranging from your multinational companies to your local traders trying to make a name for themselves!
Jam packed with products (sorry)
As well as the products there were also many live show stages which you could go and sit in on, including MasterChef, Saturday Kitchen and The Great British Bake off, which contained winners and guests of previous years shows giving you advice on recipes and doing something of their own for you to see.
2011 British Bake Off winner Joanne Wheatley

As you would expect with an event like this, there wasn't too much in terms of healthy eating about. While there were stands with things like nuts, fruit and veg and low gluten meals, they were heavily out weighted by those for just pure indulgence, though I can't say I was complaining when they were all giving our free samples......
Great Icing to cake ratio
Rustic rolls
Cured Meat
Probably your entire days RDA of sugar
A mountain of Meringues!
As an experience I'd say it is definitely worth going if you have the chance, as with the entertainment, tips, recipes and free samples of offer it is well worth the ticket price, though you will be very likely to leave having spent a bit more then you would like on eating and buying gadgets you really need, despite the fact that you don't! I'll end this post with a picture I took of the largest birthday cake I have ever seen.

Rich
I may have had a little try of the icing......
A close up on Pac Man

No comments:

Post a Comment